Former fishing village that in 19th century got the attention of King D Luis I to become royal summer resort. Since, it is consider an elite vacation spot for foreign and portuguese.
The name Cascais derives from the word cascal which means shell and it appeared around XII or XIII centuries.
Cascais is a holiday spot for the ones searching for beach, surf, golf, sailing and being at the same time close to an European Capital, as Lisbon is only at 30km away.
Cascais life and beauty is influence by having the Atlantic ocean on its feet, the landscape with dunes in Cresmina and the warmer beaches in Cascais bay. This same ocean brings some wind to the coastline, that makes Cascais the dream city for sailing, windsurf and kitesurf.
What to visit and do in Cascais and around:
- Walk in downtown Cascais
- Visit the fortress “Cidadela de Cascais”
- The road to Guincho, including the “Boca do Inferno” and beach itself
- Walk in Paredão, between Cascais and São João do Estoril
- Cascais Marina and more important Cascais Yacht Club
- The Natural Park of Sintra-Cascais
- A surf experience in one of the best surfing spots
- Boat trip or a sailing experience
- Eat in one of the typical grilled fish restaurants
- Visit the Carcavelos vineyards and cellars
- Visit Sintra and Lisbon, a day trip for each
For more information visit: